Friday, February 7, 2014

GIS3015 Module 4 Lab: Typography

This lab focused on utilizing Adobe Illustrator to create a map of the Middle Keys of Florida. The emphasis of this exercise was on typography.  The importance of layer organization cannot be stressed enough!  I found myself re-arranging and prioritizing my layers, making adjustments as I discovered issues here and there.  Over time, I anticipate that this will become even more logical and easier to complete. Being new to AI, I experienced some difficulties caused by inadvertent key strokes and who knows what else. These were all resolved, except for being unable to draw a straight-line path on which I could place text.  No online source of information was located that could help me eliminate the error message which kept popping up, so that will require further investigation if it happens again in a different document. Practicing letter and word spacing, kerning and leading during this assignment helped me to understand the advantages of those practices better.  Creating a legend in ArcMap is preferable to creating one in AI, in my opinion.  By the end of it all, a map of the Middle Keys of Florida showing cities and select features was produced.

Map of Middle Keys of Florida showing cities and other features

No comments:

Post a Comment